West Virginia Eviction Laws

In West Virginia the landlord does not need to provide any kind of notice to the tenant if the eviction is for nonpayment of rent or for violation of a material provision in the rental agreement. He or she can directly go to court and file and serve a Summons and Complaint in Unlawful Detainer or a Petition for a summary eviction.

West Virginia Eviction Notice Recommended

Although it is not required, it is recommended that a landlord in West Virginia give an eviction notice as the more information the tenant gets, the better the chances are for the landlord to get the rent money or for the tenant to start complying with the lease terms.

Self-Eviction is unlawful

A landlord cannot evict a tenant without a court order and self eviction is illegal. Self eviction includes shutting off utilities, denying tenants access to the property by changing the locks, or removing the tenantÂ’s personal property. Such actions can make the landlord liable to damages to the tenant.

Reasons for Tenant Eviction

Not paying the rent is the most common reason for eviction. However, there are many more reasons a landlord can attempt to evict a tenant. Violations of provisions in the rental agreement constitute reason for eviction. These include the following:

  • Expiration of the rental term
  • The tenant is engaged in criminal activity or has become a chronic nuisance
  • The rental property has been substantially damaged by the tenant or by someone under the tenant's control
  • Having unauthorized people or pets living in the property
  • Engaging in offensive conduct that affects the health and safety of other tenant
  • Denying access to the landlord despite reasonable and sufficient notice

When West Virginia Eviction Notice is Required

When the lease is month-to-month or week-to-week, written notice of one rental period by the landlord is required if the lease is month-to-month or week-to-week. The landlord does not need a reason for the eviction. If the lease is month-to-month, 30-days notice is required.

For more information about West Virginia eviction law please visit:



Use Houserie for all your tenant screening needs!

Houserie's online tenant screening process offers you everything you need to complete tenant background checks on prospective renters. With our Pay-As- You-Go-System, there's no set-up fee and no monthly membership. Simply choose the tenant screening package that meets your specific needs, our fully automated system will do the rest.

SCREENING PACKAGES AVAILABLE Basic $19.99 Premier $24.99 Ultimate $29.99

Social Security Number Trace

image image image

National Criminal and Sex offender Search

image image image

National Eviction Search

image image image

Quick Tenant Credit Score Card

image image image
Custom Sample Report


The information contained in this site is for general guidance on matters of interest only. The application and impact of laws can vary widely based on the specific facts involved. Given the changing nature of laws, rules and regulations, and the inherent hazards of electronic communication, there may be delays, omissions or inaccuracies in information contained in this site, even though we have made every attempt to ensure that the information in this site has been obtained from reliable sources. Accordingly, the information on this site is provided "as is," with no guarantee of completeness, accuracy, timeliness or of the results obtained from the use of this information, with the understanding that the authors and publishers are not herein engaged in rendering legal advice and services. As such, it should not be used as a substitute for consultation with an attorney. Use of and access to this Web site or any of the e-mail links contained within the site do not create any attorney-client relationship between any employees of Houserie and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of Houserie or any individual employee. Before making any decision or taking any action, you should consult an attorney.