Vermont Eviction Laws

If a residential landlord wants to evict a tenant from a rental property in Vermont they must adhere to the Vermont eviction process. Tenants may be evicted for the reasons below but landlords must first serve a written notice to vacate:

  • Not paying the rent
  • Violating of a material provision in the rental agreement
  • Expiration of the rental term
  • The tenant is engaged in criminal activity or has become a chronic nuisance

14-Day Eviction Notice to Quit

The landlord must serve a Notice To Quit or Notice of Termination of Tenancy that states that the lease will expire 14-days from receipt of the notice. The landlord may serve the written notice personally and if the tenant is absent, the notice can be mailed to the tenant’s last-known address by certified or first class mail. The notice also must state that if the tenant has rectified the violation within the 14 days, the lease can remain in force.

30-Day Eviction Notice to Quit

For any other violation of some other provision of the lease, such as failing to keep the unit in a clean condition or significantly damaging the property, then a 30-day notice is given to the tenant. This notice may be either hand-delivered by the landlord or mailed. It must also state that the tenant has 30-days from receipt of the notice to vacate or rectify the violation. It must also state the reason for eviction and if it can be cured.

60 or 90-Day Eviction Notice to Quit

In case of no written lease or expiration of the lease term, the landlord must give the tenant a 60-day notice to vacate from the date of the notice’s receipt if the tenant has lived on the property for 2-years or less. The notice must be for 90-days if the tenant has resided in the unit for more than 2-years.


  • In Burlington, the notice requirement is 120-days if the lease has been for more than 2-years, and 90-days if 2 years or less.
  • Weekly tenants should be given 21-days to vacate. In all of these cases, the landlord need not give any reason for the eviction.

For more information about Vermont eviction law please visit:

Use Houserie for all your tenant screening needs!

Houserie's online tenant screening process offers you everything you need to complete tenant background checks on prospective renters. With our Pay-As- You-Go-System, there's no set-up fee and no monthly membership. Simply choose the tenant screening package that meets your specific needs, our fully automated system will do the rest.

SCREENING PACKAGES AVAILABLE Basic $19.99 Premier $24.99 Ultimate $29.99

Social Security Number Trace

image image image

National Criminal and Sex offender Search

image image image

National Eviction Search

image image image

Quick Tenant Credit Score Card

image image image
Custom Sample Report


The information contained in this site is for general guidance on matters of interest only. The application and impact of laws can vary widely based on the specific facts involved. Given the changing nature of laws, rules and regulations, and the inherent hazards of electronic communication, there may be delays, omissions or inaccuracies in information contained in this site, even though we have made every attempt to ensure that the information in this site has been obtained from reliable sources. Accordingly, the information on this site is provided "as is," with no guarantee of completeness, accuracy, timeliness or of the results obtained from the use of this information, with the understanding that the authors and publishers are not herein engaged in rendering legal advice and services. As such, it should not be used as a substitute for consultation with an attorney. Use of and access to this Web site or any of the e-mail links contained within the site do not create any attorney-client relationship between any employees of Houserie and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of Houserie or any individual employee. Before making any decision or taking any action, you should consult an attorney.