South Carolina Fair Housing Laws
The Fair Housing Act was designed to ensure that individuals in the same housing market, have the same housing choices regardless of:
- Sex (gender)
- National Origin
- Disability (mental and physical)
- Familial Status (presence of children under 18 in the home)
In South Carolina, Fair Housing rights and protections are provided under the United States Fair Housing Act of 1968, other applicable Federal laws, Executive Orders and regulations, and comparable state laws like the South Carolina Fair Housing Act. Enforcement is provided by the United States Department of Housing & Urban Development and the US Department of Justice, and in South Carolina by the state Human Affairs Commission.
In South Carolina it is unlawful on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or familial status, to
Local/Counties : Includes all federal and state protections listed above as well as:
- Refuse to rent or sell housing, make housing, refuse negotiating for housing, set different T&C's and privileges for the sale/rental of housing units, falsely deny that housing is available for inspection, sale or rental, provide different housing services or facilities , deny anyone access to or membership in a facility or service (such as a multiple listing service) related to the sale or rental of housing
- Refuse to extend a mortgage loan, refuse information about loans, set different T&Cs and offer different points, interest rates, fees for a loan, refuse to purchase a loan, give a different appraisal.
- Threaten, coerce, intimidate or interfere with anyone exercising a fair housing right or assisting others to exercise that right.
- Advertise or make any statement that indicates a limitation or preference based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status or disability. This applies to single-family and owner-occupied housing that is otherwise exempt from the Fair Housing Act
For more information about South Carolina Fair Housing Laws please go to:
Use Houserie for all your tenant screening needs!
Houserie's online tenant screening process offers you everything you need to complete tenant background checks on prospective renters. With our Pay-As- You-Go-System, there's no set-up fee and no monthly membership. Simply choose the tenant screening package that meets your specific needs, our fully automated system will do the rest.
|SCREENING PACKAGES AVAILABLE||Basic $19.95||Premier $24.95||Ultimate $29.95|
Social Security Number Trace
National Criminal and Sex offender Search
National Eviction Search
Quick Tenant Credit Score Card
The information contained in this site is for general guidance on matters of interest only. The application and impact of laws can vary widely based on the specific facts involved. Given the changing nature of laws, rules and regulations, and the inherent hazards of electronic communication, there may be delays, omissions or inaccuracies in information contained in this site, even though we have made every attempt to ensure that the information in this site has been obtained from reliable sources. Accordingly, the information on this site is provided "as is," with no guarantee of completeness, accuracy, timeliness or of the results obtained from the use of this information, with the understanding that the authors and publishers are not herein engaged in rendering legal advice and services. As such, it should not be used as a substitute for consultation with an attorney. Use of and access to this Web site or any of the e-mail links contained within the site do not create any attorney-client relationship between any employees of Houserie and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of Houserie or any individual employee. Before making any decision or taking any action, you should consult an attorney.