New Mexico Fair Housing Laws
Landlords in New Mexico are not allowed to discriminate towards tenants due to the Fair Housing Act. Fair Housing is the right for everyone to have access to housing without discrimination based on:
- National origin
- Familial status
The New Mexico also restricts discrimination based on:
- Sexual orientation
- Gender identity
- Spousal affiliation
The most common housing discrimination practices are:
- Refusing to rent or negotiate for a dwelling for discriminatory reasons.
- Discriminating in rental amounts, security deposits, enforcement of rules or other terms and conditions of rental.
- Representing that an available dwelling is not available for inspection or rental when it is.
- Saying, publishing or displaying a racial, religious, sexual or ethnic preference with respect to the rental of housing.
- Directing anyone to rental property in a particular area for discriminatory reasons.
- Directing anyone to a particular section of the community for discriminatory reasons.
- Denying a loan or offering different financial terms and conditions for discriminatory reasons.
- Engaging in panic-selling by representing that the racial composition of a neighborhood is going to change.
- Excluding or discriminating against families with children, except under specific guidelines for housing for older persons.
- Discriminating against or failing to make reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities.
For more information about New Mexico Fair Housing Laws please go to:http://www.housingnm.org/fair-housing
Use Houserie for all your tenant screening needs!
Houserie's online tenant screening process offers you everything you need to complete tenant background checks on prospective renters. With our Pay-As- You-Go-System, there's no set-up fee and no monthly membership. Simply choose the tenant screening package that meets your specific needs, our fully automated system will do the rest.
|SCREENING PACKAGES AVAILABLE||Basic $19.95||Premier $24.95||Ultimate $29.95|
Social Security Number Trace
National Criminal and Sex offender Search
National Eviction Search
Quick Tenant Credit Score Card
The information contained in this site is for general guidance on matters of interest only. The application and impact of laws can vary widely based on the specific facts involved. Given the changing nature of laws, rules and regulations, and the inherent hazards of electronic communication, there may be delays, omissions or inaccuracies in information contained in this site, even though we have made every attempt to ensure that the information in this site has been obtained from reliable sources. Accordingly, the information on this site is provided "as is," with no guarantee of completeness, accuracy, timeliness or of the results obtained from the use of this information, with the understanding that the authors and publishers are not herein engaged in rendering legal advice and services. As such, it should not be used as a substitute for consultation with an attorney. Use of and access to this Web site or any of the e-mail links contained within the site do not create any attorney-client relationship between any employees of Houserie and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of Houserie or any individual employee. Before making any decision or taking any action, you should consult an attorney.