Maryland Fair Housing Laws
It is illegal for landlords to partake in the following:
- -Refuse to rent to certain tenants
- -Tell tenants housing is unavailable when in fact it is available
- -Show tenants apartments or homes in certain neighborhoods only
- -Advertise housing to preferred groups of tenants only
- -Conduct property appraisals in a discriminatory manner
- -Refuse to make certain modifications or accommodations for tenants with mental or physical disability, including persons recovering from alcohol and substance abuse, and HIV/AIDS-related illnesses
- -Fail to design and construct housing in an accessible manner
- -Harass, coerce, intimidate, or interfere with anyone exercising or assisting someone else with their fair housing rights.
Maryland includes all federal protections listed above as well as:
- -Marital Status: The state of being single, married, separated, divorced, or widowed.
- -Sexual Orientation: The identification of an individual as to male or female homosexuality, heterosexuality, or bisexuality.
Local/Counties : Includes all federal and state protections listed above as well as:
- -Age: Generally referring to adults 18 yrs & over. (Baltimore City, Cambridge, Hagerstown, Rockville; Baltimore, Harford, Howard, Montgomery and Prince George's Counties)
- -Ancestry: Line of decent. (Baltimore City, Cambridge, Rockville and Montgomery County)
- -Creed: A person’s beliefs; also, a summary of principals or opinions to which someone professes or adheres. (Cambridge, Rockville; Baltimore, Harford, Howard and Montgomery Counties
- -Ethnic Origin: Cultural upbringing, including ceremonies and traditions. (None)
- -Family Responsibility: Refers to decisions based on an assumption of a person's care giving responsibilities, either childcare or care of another family member. (Montgomery County)
- -Gender Identity: An individual's having or being perceived as having a gender-related self-identity, self-image, appearance, expression, or behavior whether or not those gender-related characteristics differ from those associated with the individual's assigned sex at birth. (Baltimore City; Howard and Montgomery Counties)
- -Lawful Income: See below, 'Source of Income'.
- -Occupation: The principal lawful activity of one's life, generally including students, welfare recipients and retired persons. (Harford, Howard and Prince George’s Counties)
- -Personal Appearance: The outward appearance of any person, irrespective of sex, with regard to hair style, facial hair, physical characteristics or manner of dress. Such term shall not relate to the requirement of cleanliness, uniforms or prescribed attire when uniformly applied for admittance to a public accommodation or to a class of employees for a customary or reasonable business. (Harford, Howard and Prince George’s Counties)
- -Political Opinion: The opinion of persons relating to government, the conduct of government, political parties, candidates for election or elected office-holders. (Harford, Howard and Prince George’s Counties)
- -Presence of Children: Households that include the temporary custody or permanent occupancy of persons under the age of 18 years. (Rockville and Montgomery Co.)
- -Source of Income: Any lawful source of money that is paid to or for the benefit of a renter or buyer of housing and includes grants, government assistance, alimony, child support, pensions, annuities, legal gifts, or investment earnings.(City of Frederick, Annapolis; Frederick, Howard and Montgomery Counties)
For more information about West Virginia Fair Housing Laws please go to:
Use Houserie for all your tenant screening needs!
Houserie's online tenant screening process offers you everything you need to complete tenant background checks on prospective renters. With our Pay-As- You-Go-System, there's no set-up fee and no monthly membership. Simply choose the tenant screening package that meets your specific needs, our fully automated system will do the rest.
|SCREENING PACKAGES AVAILABLE||Basic $19.95||Premier $24.95||Ultimate $29.95|
Social Security Number Trace
National Criminal and Sex offender Search
National Eviction Search
Quick Tenant Credit Score Card
The information contained in this site is for general guidance on matters of interest only. The application and impact of laws can vary widely based on the specific facts involved. Given the changing nature of laws, rules and regulations, and the inherent hazards of electronic communication, there may be delays, omissions or inaccuracies in information contained in this site, even though we have made every attempt to ensure that the information in this site has been obtained from reliable sources. Accordingly, the information on this site is provided "as is," with no guarantee of completeness, accuracy, timeliness or of the results obtained from the use of this information, with the understanding that the authors and publishers are not herein engaged in rendering legal advice and services. As such, it should not be used as a substitute for consultation with an attorney. Use of and access to this Web site or any of the e-mail links contained within the site do not create any attorney-client relationship between any employees of Houserie and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of Houserie or any individual employee. Before making any decision or taking any action, you should consult an attorney.